UPDATE: This session was moved from Tuesday, January 15th to Tuesday, February 19th.
Like many cultures, Hispanic countries (we’re including Spain) have traditional naming conventions. Understanding these well will make you much more successful when researching and documenting your ancestors in Spanish-speaking countries, and those who immigrated to the United States (possibly to other non-Spanish-speaking countries too).
Join us on Tuesday, January 19th!
After brief introductions, we’ll start off with a short primer on traditional Hispanic naming conventions: surnames, given names, and women. Then we’ll ask the group to share tips on, or ask questions about, what seems to work best for handling these naming conventions:
- in your genealogy database and/or online tree
- in source citations
- when writing family history narratives
- when searching online
- for individuals who lived in the old country and then immigrated to a non-Spanish-speaking country
If you have specific examples (links, screenshots, documents, etc.) that you want to share with the group, please have those saved on your computer desktop or browser tabs/bookmarks for quick easy access.
Meeting Logistics & Access
- Date & Time: Tuesday, February 19th, 2019 (6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.)
- Discussion Topic: Search and documentation strategies for Hispanic names
(Leader: Colleen Robledo Greene, MLIS)
- Joining the Meeting: Pre-registration is required (even just right before the event)
- Register on our Hispanic SIG Meeting Access web page (you must be logged in to your VGA account first)
- Participation is limited to VGA members.
- The meeting link will be included in email reminders to you the day before and one hour before the meeting start time, and shared in our private Facebook Group
Register Today for Our 2019 SIG Meetings!
Not yet a VGA member? Annual membership is just $20 USD. JOIN VGA TODAY!
Colleen Robledo Greene, MLIS
VGA Hispanic SIG Coordinator
Pingback: VGA’s January 15th’s Hispanic Online SIG: Search and Documentation Strategies for Hispanic Names